What it means to be an LGBT Ally?
“Being an LGBT ally means helping others understand the importance of equality, fairness, acceptance and mutual respect.
What is a LGBT relationship?
1. Throughout the article, we use “LGBT couples” as an inclusive term to reflect the fact that partners’ sexual and/or gender identities may be the same (e.g., two gay men) or different (e.g., a transgender man and lesbian).
What does it mean if you’re an ally?
To be an ally is to unite oneself with another to promote a common interest. As shown by the definitions above, people who are allies are not only helpers, but also have a common interest with those they desire to help. In an alliance, both parties stand to benefit from the bond or connection they share.
What does straight mean?
The word “straight” is often used to mean “heterosexual.” It can also mean “heteroromantic.” Heterosexual means you’re sexually attracted to the opposite sex only. Heteroromantic means you’re romantically attracted to the opposite sex only.
What does the 2 in lgbtq2 mean?
“Two-spirit” refers to a person who identifies as having both a masculine and a feminine spirit, and is used by some Indigenous people to describe their sexual, gender and/or spiritual identity.
Why being an ally is important?
Being an ally is an antidote to isolation for those targeted by oppression and those in the targeting role–it empowers everyone involved. Our communities need the voices, opinions, and help of people from many different groups.
How can I be active ally?
You want to be an active ally? Here’s how.
- The most important thing you can do is to listen to marginalized folks when they talk about their experiences. …
- Dismantle your privileges. …
- Use your privilege to confront those in your social circles. …
- Help create a safe place for marginalized people within the communities you are a part of.